Area boys slow down construction of Third Mainland Bridge

The Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Mr Olukayode Popoola, has lamented the disruptive activities of ‘Area Boys’ who sometimes open the closed section of the Third Mainland Bridge to traffic which endangers the safety of motorists.

The controller on Saturday said that their actions jeopardised the safety of road users, adding that security had been beefed up to nip the problem in the bud.
“Sometimes where we closed, Area Boys reopened to traffic especially when they notice law enforcement agents are not around.

“We had to call the Police, the FRSC to intervene because the action of the Area Boys delayed construction works for some days because safety is of importance to everybody.

“We are doing roads for human beings, so we have to be very careful. We cannot be breaking concrete when someone is driving pass. Supposing some of the element flies and breaks his head,’’ he queried.
Popoola added that the planned two-day repairs shutdown of the Third Mainland Bridge had to be postponed because of the buildup to the Yuletide

He said that construction works had reached the stage for casting concrete on additional three expansion joints, hence the need for a total shutdown.
The controller noted that the Federal Government had to postpone the closure because it was sensitive to the needs of citizens preparing for the festive season with increased human and vehicular traffic.

He said that remarkable progress had been made and the next total closure was shifted till the holiday period to reduce hardship on road users.

“On the Island-bound lane where we are working now, the contractor is ready to cast another three expansion joints this weekend, but because of the festive period that we have a lot of vehicles on the road.
“We were advised to leave it till next week maybe during the public holiday where we will do the total closure, then, we will be able to cast the three expansion joints.

“That will be next week. So, Third Mainland Bridge work is progressing steadily,’’ he said.

Popoola said that work on the surface of the bridge was over 70 per cent completed, but the entire project was 22 per cent completed with inclusion of construction underneath.

He said that efforts were on to ensure the contractor completed the ongoing replacement of expansion joints on the top of the bridge before the Feb. 22, 2021 delivery date.

Related posts

Leave a Comment