Nigeria is now facing a rise in confirmed COVID-19 cases nationwide which is similar to the second wave of infections occurring in other countries. Particularly, Lagos, Kaduna and the FCT have emerged as the new epicentres during this period, with over 70% of all confirmed cases.
The PTF has surveyed developments and actions taken by governments around the world, assessed our domestic environment and has accordingly submitted its recommendations to Mr. President on immediate measures to be taken. In line with the authorisation given by President Buhari, the PTF wishes to issue the following advisories to sub-national entities for implementation over the next five weeks:
- Close All bars, night clubs, pubs and event centres, and recreational venues;
- Close all restaurants except those providing services to hotel residents; takeaways, home deliveries and drive-ins shall remain closed;
- Restrict all informal and formal festivity events including weddings, conferences, congresses, office parties, concerts, seminars, sporting activities, end of year events shall be restricted to not more than 50 persons;
- Limit All gatherings linked to religious events to less than 50% capacity of the facility of use during which physical distancing; mandatory use of face masks shall be strictly enforced
- Where more than 50 persons are attending, the gathering should be held outdoors only;
- Public transportation systems are to carry passengers not more than 50% of their capacity in compliance with social distancing rules.
- All government staff on GL.12 and below are to stay at home for the next 5 weeks; Permanent Secretaries and Chief Executives are to be held accountable for enforcing Non Pharmaceutical Interventions (NPI) rules in their domains with frequent spot checks;
- The PTF on the advice of the Federal Ministry of Education, expects that schools would have vacated from the 18th December 2020 and remain closed till at least the 18th of January, 2021 to enable the measures introduced to take effect;
- All persons above the age of 60yrs and/or with comorbidities are to be encouraged to stay at home and avoid crowds;
- All non-essential travels – both domestic and international during the holiday season are seriously discouraged.